Today marks officially one week until revelers take to the streets to observe carnival in the Commonwealth of Dominica, two days of fete which is anticipated by so many across the island. If you are not sure that your body is carnival costume ready then check out our one-week workout challenge to help you get snatched for carnival.
Now realistically you do need to do more than exercise in order for the workout to be effective you so have to make some lifestyle changes as well.
- Drink water– It’s a good idea to have water available and to drink several glasses throughout the day, equaling about 2.5 liters. You know you’re hydrated when your urine is clear or nearly clear.
- Sodas– Give up sodas, even diet varieties, as they contain either loads of sugar or artificial sweeteners.
- Avoid junk food and fast food. Instead, cook at home and learn to prepare fresh healthy meals.
- Eat morefresh fruits, veggies, nuts, lean protein, and low-fat dairy; and avoid overly processed foods that are packed with sodium and refined sugar.
- Eat smaller portions, about the size of your fist. Its recommend that eating three small meals and two to three clean snacks each day can help in weight loss. Also, using smaller plates can help to keep your portions in check.
- Read labelsand look at the ingredient list. If the product contains refined sugar, enriched white flour and is high in sodium, it’s a food best left on the shelf. If you can’t pronounce each of the ingredients or know what they are, you probably shouldn’t be buying it. Reading the ingredient label is a must if your goal is to know exactly what goes into your body.
NOW ON TO THE WORKOUT
Equipment Needed: Set of light dumbbells (3-5 lbs), a chair and an interval timer.
What to Do: Perform all exercises 45 seconds and rest 15 seconds after each one. Complete each routine 3 times and rest 1 full minute after each circuit.
Each workout equals 17-minutes, making them totally doable!
3. Hip Extensions left side
4. Hip Extensions right side
5. March in Place
2. Plié/Sumo Squat
3. Stiff Legged Deadlift with Dumbbells
4. Foot to Foot Crunches
5. High Knees in Place
2. Knee Touches in Place
3. Tricep Kickbacks
4. Rear Leg Extension left leg
5. Rear Leg Extension right leg
Rest Day – Take a brisk 30 minute walk
March in Place
2. Traditional Crunch
3. Chair Squat
4. Wall Push-Up
5. Bodyweight Glute Bridge
2. Alternating Lunges
3. Lying Oblique Twist
4. Body Weight Squat
5. High Knees in Place
2. Knee Push-Ups
3. Alternating Reverse Lunge
4. Reverse Crunch
5. Knee Touches in Place
Doing these exercises consistently and following the lifestyle changes can help you shed about 5-10 pounds and help you slay in your sexy carnival costume.
This is also specifically designed to be a toning and weight loss workout and can hopefully be a fun way to jumpstart a healthy lifestyle change.
Let me know if you tried this challenge and your results in the comments below!!
**workouts can be looked up on YouTube.